Body Mechanix Physical Therapy: What is an Osteopractor?
Body Mechanix is proud to announce our newest specialty in Osteopractic Physical Therapy. Karen Agostinucci, PT, DPT, MS, OCS, Cert. SMT, Cert. DN, and Shari Kaliski, DPT, Cert. SMT, Cert. DN were both awarded a diploma in Osteopractic physical therapy December 2015.
An OSTEOPRACTOR is a physical therapist or medical doctor that has completed an evidence-based post-graduate training program in the use of high-velocity low-amplitude thrust manipulation and dry needling for the diagnosis and treatment of neuromusculoskeletal conditions of the spine and extremities.
The Diploma in Osteopractic (Dip. Of Osteopractic) is a relatively new credential, trademarked by the American Academy of Manipulative Therapy and Spinal Manipulation Institute. The term osteopractor literally translates to “bone practitioner”, and osteopractors are trained in treating musculoskeletal disorders. The diploma is given only to physical therapists who have completed a rigorous, evidenced-based series of courses including:
- Certification in Spinal Manipulation or Cert. SMT (series of four courses)
- Certification in Dry Needling or Cert. DN (series of two courses, fifty-four total hours)
- Extremity Manipulative Therapy
- Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization (IASTM)
- Differential Diagnosis & Multi-Modal Management of Upper and Lower Extremity Spine-Related Pain Syndromes.
Body Mechanix is a unique physical therapy practice. Our dedicated professionals are highly skilled in manual therapy and provide patients with exceptional care. We will continue to strive to be the leaders in our profession.